Monday, August 08, 2011

Memories.....

Annually, as the calendar turns toward late summer, my thoughts seem to always find their way to yesterday, when the clock ticked a bit slower. I think of harvest time, the cool winds of autumn, clear blue skies, days gone by. Seems to help me appreciate life, space and time. I think of my early days in Tennessee in a house similar to the one shown. Tough. But I did not realize it. When the world as I knew it included only a few miles and a few people....a country store and a country church. Just dreamed of a chance to see the world, spread my wings, and discover my niche. Often my mind drifts back to:

Dusty hayfields along Salt Lick Creek.....square bales on to a trailer behind a tractor, and then into the barn....Cousins and uncles..anyone not afraid of work....'Like a Rock'....


Cattle grazing in the meadows.....mostly milk cattle that demanded time morning and night....


Cornfields....and more cornfields....wash up at the outside pumphouse...make some home-made ice cream......listen to the Bobwhite, then in the late evening stillness, the Whippoorwill. Relax...just relax and listen......


The old barn across the creek... a refuge......a treat any time...especially when it rained. Memories.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home